Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Iliad by Homer - Double Ajax Summary Book 1


Iliad – Book Summary as recounted by the main characters in the action

Backstory – Hector – For me this whole story is a tragedy, because none of it would have happened if not for those meddling gods or if Paris had any brains whatsoever.  It all begins with Zeus hosting a party for Achilles parents in which he intentionally did not invite Eris (goddess of strife and discord, I smell Hera at work here). Eris shows up anyway and tosses in an apple with an inscription that says: For The Fairest. Needless to say, the goddesses Hera, Athena and Aphrodite each lay claim to the apple. Zeus is asked to mediate. Not wanting to make a choice that will get him in even more trouble than he normally is in with his family, Zeus punts the decision to the Trojan mortal Paris. Competition ensues. Hera offers Paris all of Asia if he chooses her. Athena offers wisdom and prowess in battle. Aphrodite promises the most beautiful woman in the world. They all get naked and pose in a garden for Renaissance painters.  Now here’s where it gets stupid. In this “judgement” there really is only once choice. Hera. Saying the boss’ wife is the fairest at a party is like complementing her earrings. Just say: it’s you Hera, and you can keep Asia. Everyone would have chuckled, Zeus and his wife would have been pleased and the other gals would have just accused you of being a suck up. But no, Paris gets talked into thinking with his @#$% by Aphrodite (not the first guy in history to do that in her presence) and chooses her, thus getting a shot at the most beautiful woman in the world. When he got back, I had a hard few questions for him. If Helen was the most beautiful, doesn’t that make her the de facto winner of the fairest contest to? How old is Achilles? If we’ve been fighting for 9 years since that party, is my main rival, the guy who will ultimately kill me in this story a 9 year old? On the Helen thing, can she cook?

Book 1 – Achilles – Look, everyone knows Agamemnon was asking for it when he took as his booty the favorite daughter of one of Apollo’s priests. Once Apollo found out about Chrysies’ abduction he dropped arrow bombs all over our Greek behinds. I had no idea what was happening but I know this soothsayer who ended up telling me that Apollo was behind the plagues so I confronted Agamemnon who told me to stick it and we got in a bit of a scrap when resulted in him returning Chrysies and thus quieting Apollo but then he decided to take my pretty abductee Briseis in her stead. I then flew into a rage, called him a few names (was “dog-face” excessive?), then started crying, then went and found my mom, who by the way is owed a few favors by Zeus, who convinces Zeus to punish the Greeks (my own army by the way) for this action. Zeus agrees, but ends up getting in a snit with his wife Hera, who doesn’t want to help the Trojans because of Paris didn’t choose her at the wedding. Their relationship is complicated to say the least. I decide to withhold my legendary battle skills and await a bat signal moment because that would make me feel much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment